Over the past 15 months, we’ve been so blessed to serve alongside Becky Dean, our current outreach coordinator. Becky came to us as a missionary fellow with the Global Ministries of the United Methodist Church. She served for 15 months with a local church in Ecuador and has spent almost 15 months serving with us! In July, Becky will move on to new and greater things as she continues to pursue God’s calling on her life.
With this transition coming soon, we’re excited to announce that we are now accepting cover letters and resumes for our full-time, Outreach Coordinator internship position. You can read all about this position below!
If you have any questions or would like to send in your cover letter and resume, please contact Joe Davis via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or (334) 501-4276 x100.
The Outreach Coordinator intern performs various functions which help to create and nurture ARM’s relationships with its home repair families, day camp children, volunteers, and supporters.
|Compensation:||$600/month stipend with housing and transportation provided by ARM. (Stipend can be increased to $700/month if ARM housing is not required)|
|Benefits:||No benefits are offered.|
|Start Date:||As early as July 1, 2015|
|Duration:||1 year with the possibility of extension.|
|Hours:||40 hours per week. On occasion, weekend hours (Saturday) are required to assist with home repair work days. Time off during the week is given to make up for all time worked on weekend.|
|Application Deadline:||August 31, 2015|
How to Apply
Submit your cover letter and resume to Joe Davis via email at email@example.com!
Major Areas of Responsibility
The Outreach Coordinator will report to the Director of Ministry Operations for all responsibilities. S/he will work with the Director of Ministry Operations, the Construction Supervisor, and/or the Executive Director to accomplish tasks in the following areas of responsibility:
- Assisting families through the home repair process
- Publishing quarterly newsletter and bi-weekly e-newsletter
- Organizing 2 yearly Community Service Day events in Lee & Macon counties
- Planning for children’s day camp ministry
The Outreach Coordinator position exists to:
- Show Christian love and care to families in need of home repair
- Keep supporters informed and up to-date about our ministry
- Create opportunities for local church and volunteer teams to serve with us
- Provide a safe, fun, and loving environment for children during the summer
Specific Job Responsibilities
Assisting families through the home repair process.
ARM’s home repair ministry serves with approximately 20-25 families in Lee, Macon, and Sumter counties each year. The outreach coordinator intern will build relationships with these families and help them through our home repair process, which can last up to 2 years. This includes taking phone referrals in the office, organizing intake meetings, home visits, and frequent phone calls. Some families may be eligible for city or federal grant monies. In these cases, the outreach coordinator will assist families with the paperwork required to apply for these resources and will serve as an advocate and guide for the family throughout the process.
Newsletters and E-Newsletters
ARM sends a paper newsletter to its donors, volunteers, and home repair families three times a year (fall, winter, and spring). The Outreach Coordinator will be responsible for all stages of the newsletter’s development and mail-out. This includes writing articles, editing and compiling articles submitted by other ARM staff, proper formatting, as well as printing, folding, tabbing, and labeling. ARM also sends a bi-weekly e-newsletter via email. The Outreach Coordinator will be responsible for creating, editing, and sending the e-newsletter every two weeks.
Community Service Days
ARM hosts two community service days each year: Make a Difference Day in late October and MLK Jr. Day in mid January. On these days, ARM invites local churches and volunteer groups to organize volunteer teams to serve through home repair, children’s ministry, or with other community service opportunities as needed. The Outreach Coordinator is responsible for planning these events which includes publicity, team registration and follow-up, organizing a volunteer breakfast, taking photos throughout the day, and writing a recap of the day for the ARM blog and other media outlets.
Children’s Day Camp Ministry
ARM hosts a 7-week day camp for children ages 5-10 each summer in the cities of Tuskegee and Livingston. The Outreach Coordinator will be responsible for developing a summer theme and Bible curriculum for the day camp. S/he will also be responsible for organizing meetings with parents in the spring to facilitate child registration.
Requirements, Skills, and Abilities
- A personal commitment to and active faith in Jesus Christ as Lord.
- Ability to drive up to 400 miles in a day (for trips to/from Livingston)
- Working from the ARM office in Opelika, AL.
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent skills in patiently relating to and communicating with diverse people both in person and over the phone.
- An incredible attention to detail and the ability to understand complex processes.
- Proficiency in using digital tools such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint to create professional, organized documents.
- Proficiency in web based tools such as Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome as well as Gmail, Google Drive, and Google Calendar.
- Ability to learn new web-based tools
- Organizational and project management skills
- Event planning skills
- Adequate knowledge of the Old and New Testament
Preferred, but not Required
- Any prior experience working with families and/or children living in low/fixed income households, especially in a social work context.
- Any interest or knowledge in affordable housing or construction.
- Experience volunteering with community service organizations.
- Experience with social media and digital publicity tools like ConstantContact
The Outreach Coordinator should be able to lift approximately 25lbs. Most responsibilities are not physically demanding. However, the Outreach Coordinator may at times want to participate in home repair or children’s ministries.
The Outreach Coordinator will perform the majority of her/his tasks at the ARM office, which is located at Pepperrell United Methodist in Opelika, AL. Office hours are from 9a – 5p, Monday – Friday. Occasional visits to families living throughout the Lee and Macon area will also be required. Some travel to and from Livingston, AL (approximately 180 miles west of Opelika) will also be required in order to facilitate home repair and day camp ministry in Sumter County. All travel expenses will be paid by ARM.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. But, this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.